It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Your Best Beer Moment of 2008
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:04 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

After reading Mike's "best beer moments" article, I thought it'd be cool to hear everyone else's.....so there you have it, what's your best beer moment of 2008!?

I'll start. Personally, I had quite a few....but I will go with visiting Founders. Their beers were so awesome on tap....hops were in your face with their hoppy brews and the oak aged breakfast stout was amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:18 pm 
STL Hops Jackass

Twitter: cubby_swans
Stl hops 1st anniversary party in the Schlafly basement. Easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:47 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

Twitter: @mockwerks
My first place would be the Anniversary party also, but I have to give props to the first gathering at Mattingly's before they had any brewing going on.

...and yes, it was worth being in the doghouse for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:39 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Visiting New Belgium a few weeks ago. I was completely impressed with:

- How happy their employees were
- How willing they were to give me free beer
- How impressive their facilities are
- How dedicated they are to making delicious beer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

*The Goat's Breath promo w/Cooter The Goat at Rumple's Pub
*Night of the Barrels in Peoria
*The St. Louis Brewers three-way bachelor party for Charlie, Brennan and me, where I puked, passed out and called my fiance for a ride, by like, I dunno, 10:30!
*Madison (as always)
*GABF
*Arcadia Brewery Anniversary Party--Battle Creek, MI

Wow, holy shit, this was all just one year ago?!!![/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 pm 

Twitter: Ericstl6
Untappd: Ericstl6
+1 on the first meet and greet at Mattingly's. At that point I knew really noone and showed up by myself. Pretty damn cool that I got to know some peeps and was one of the last one's to leave.

Still kicking myself for my kid having a birthday the same day of the first anniversary party! Damn rugrat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

My list in order:

Augusta Bottoms Beer fest-hands down, the best atmosphere and some of the best beer i had all year was there. The little known gem of a fest that just rocks my socks!

STL hops 1st aniv party at the tap room-definately a great time and met all you great people! The highlights beer wise were the Simcoe APA and the Stout from Ofallon

St Louis Microfest-damn good fest, but it was scorching hot that day! I hope that this years will be more mild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 pm 

Oh shit how could I forget, I also was lucky enough to get asked to attend the opening night dinner at the St. Louis Brewers Heritage Festival where they paired some damn good food with some damn good beer. And then to top it off got asked to go to the "after-party" at Tom Schlafly's house. That was pretty damn cool on a personal level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 pm 
STL Hops Addict

Twitter: MurdarioStomp
my first bottle of pliny

the beer tasting at Mikes - i tasted a TON of new beers, and all in all had a great time.

anniversary party - my first beer event. great beer and great people at a great place.

my 2nd bottle of pliny.

peek a brew at mattinglys - awesome place, awesome vibe, awesome beers. i need to try the pizza.

THE STABLE - best draft beer selection in st louis

33 wine - best cozy atmosphere and smoke free!!!!!!

the rotten apple - for having ice for my bucket! and for having THE BEST draft selection in the st louis metro area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm 

scottyp wrote:

the rotten apple - for having ice for my bucket! and for having THE BEST draft selection in the st louis metro area.

One of the most talked about things of 2008! Well played brother, well played!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:22 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

Thought of some things since posting on the main page, so this is an updated list.

* Pouring at the beer fest at Rotten Apple in Feb - first time there and fun time. Loved the town, people at the fest.
* Lots of great tastings with drmatt, xmarcnolanx and ejd715 and others in the area.
* Great Taste of the Midwest - tons of great brewers with an unbelievable number of amazing beers. A fun and interesting trip as well.
* 1st anniversary STL Hops party - first time to meet quite a few here, impressive food and fully satisfying beers.
* Mattingly Brewing house beers flowing - great to see this happen and they have great food. Soon it will be on in house equipment - can't wait.
* Buffalo Cask Rye IPA - sitting at a table with STL Hops folks and enjoying a chewy hop bomb.
* STL Hops beer tasting at Mike's house - lots of fun beer, lots of good people. No matter where you go the craft beer community is filled with nice people and this kept in line with that easily.
* All the great fest attended this year - Microfest (always fun), Augusta (worth the trip), Repeal of Prohibition (I remember the first half....), Hop In The City (eight years running now and hope to continue as long as possible) and probably one or two others I'm forgetting.

Looks like another great year to a fan of craft beer and interact with other beer geeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm 
Beer Lover Extreme

Untappd: samuelahuff
Augusta Bottom is my #1 highlight. Homebrew club was in full force and somehow my mead faired well. Had Buffalo RIPA that day as well and hooked ever since!

1st, 2nd, and 3rd bottle of Pliny. Need to order more........

1st bottle of Stone Ruination. My mouth was ruined.

My beer being on tap at Buffalo and hearing Dave say it was a good beer and that it sold out!

I have many bad beer memories as well, but those are for another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:48 am 
Beer Lover Extreme

I have enjoyed Mattingly's Peek a Brews events. It was fun to try the fruit of Drew's labor and meet some StlHopper's. But I would have to say my best beer moment actually was the Monster's of Beer at the Stable. It was the first beer event like that where I got to go with my kid brother. He's just starting to look at beers other than Budweiser and it opened his eyes to what was out there. Some were a little to out there for him but it was his excitement that really made that event my best beer moment of '08.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:56 am 
Super Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: @BeerWithMeSTL
Ericstl6 wrote:
Oh shit how could I forget, I also was lucky enough to get asked to attend the opening night dinner at the St. Louis Brewers Heritage Festival where they paired some damn good food with some damn good beer. And then to top it off got asked to go to the "after-party" at Tom Schlafly's house. That was pretty damn cool on a personal level.

Now that is pretty cool!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:27 am 
Owner/Creator

Twitter: @MikeSweeney
Untappd: MikeSweeney
Ericstl6 wrote:

heh, I didn't know you were there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 pm 
Beer Robot

Man Ive had a bunch this year

1. Serving my homebrew to unanimous applause (with all of the GBS guys) at Augusta Bottoms Fest.

2. GABF was great the first session, and then meeting all of the Brewing Network guys and Charlie Papazian was sweet.

3. My Pacific Trip which included stops at Maui Brewing, Kona Brewing, Russian River and 21st Amendment

4. Beer Trip to Chicago this past February to partake of Goose Island, 3 Floyds, Floosmoor Station, Lunar Brewing, Piece Pizza and Breweries winter offerings which coincided with attending the opening weekend of 2 Brothers Taphouse.

5. Taking the tour of AB for the first time the week before the invev buyout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:30 am 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Probably my Chicago trip:
The Map Room
Fat Cat Bar & Grill
Binny's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:10 am 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @Shep133
Untappd: Shep133
The Heritage Festival (mudfest) and St. Louis Micro Fest (heatfest) were very memorable.

My best beer "moment" was our Michigan trip:
New Holland
Founders and the Harvest fest there
Hideout
HopCat
Dark Horse
Arcadia
Bell's
Olde Peninsula

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:14 pm 
Super Ultra Beer Nerd

My firsty Dark Lord Day! And the ensueing debochery that followed. Nine different brewpubs in 3 different states with over 100 beer ratings added to my RateBeer account!
It was tough, but I was up to the challenge!
Cheers
Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:48 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: @OldTree
Untappd: OldTree
Heritage Fest...that's me on the left...next to my beer ;)

http://stlhops.com/wp-content/gallery/2008/beer%20929_1280x960.jpg

Cheers,
Augie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 pm 
Super Beer Nerd

1. The beer tasting at Mikes was the best for me.
2. Second was the anniversary party at the Tap Room. The beer was great and the scallops were awesome.
3. Drinking over a hundred different beers recommended on this site or from workers at TWCP, bonVivant, Lukas, etc
4. Reading and looking over this site.
5. The Cubs not winning the World Series, but as I poke fun at cubby, St. Louis professional sports SUCK BIG TIME. The Rams SUCK times 10, what a pathetic excuse for a NFL team, the Blues fight, work hard, and have had horrible luck with injuries, but their record SUCKS, and the Cardinals ownership SUCKS. They take, take, take, promise, take, promise, take, but do not deliver and yes I remember the World Series (thank you Detroit)!!!!!!!!!!!
Did I get a little off task here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:07 am 
Super Ultra Beer Nerd

Brewing outside Gary's garage on one of the hottest days (daytime) of the year and then the coldest (nighttime). Both were not much fun, they were memorable to say the least.

The 1st Annual (?) Dougfest drunkfest at Gary's. Our good friend and incredible homebrewer Doug Howe stopped thru St. Louis and Gary Burke hosted about 20-25 brewers, beer geeks, and random heavy hitters in his garage/brewery/neon shop for a night of drinking all kinds of fantastic beers. Lots of deer chilli, venison sausages, various exotic cheeses, etc etc. Great time to say the least.
dan g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:18 am 
Ultra Beer Nerd

blksabbath wrote:
The 1st Annual (?) Dougfest drunkfest at Gary's. Our good friend and incredible homebrewer Doug Howe stopped thru St. Louis and Gary Burke hosted about 20-25 brewers, beer geeks, and random heavy hitters in his garage/brewery/neon shop for a night of drinking all kinds of fantastic beers. Lots of deer chilli, venison sausages, various exotic cheeses, etc etc. Great time to say the least.
dan g

Yeah, I wish I could have made that....stupid work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:36 pm 
Super Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: @BeerWithMeSTL
1. Finding this site which has improved my beer knowledge tremendously!
2. Which in turn has gotten me back into homebrewing.
3. Judging my first competition.