It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 308  Next
 Post subject: What do you think about what you had last night?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:27 am 
Owner/Creator

Twitter: @MikeSweeney
Untappd: MikeSweeney
Thought this would be an interesting and popular thread idea. List some of the beers you had last night and if possible some of your thoughts on them.

FFF - Pride and Joy: Wonderful American hop aroma and a bready/biscuity malt aroma as well. Just a really pleasant session beer. I'm extremely happy I bought a case of this last time I was in IN. I enjoyed it so much I almost want a glass right now!

Surly - Furious: Another beer I picked up at DLD. I was a bit disappointed by the aroma, I didn't pick much up at all. Perhaps it was a bit too cold. The flavor was much better after letting it warm. It had a big, bold malt profile and a piny hop flavor. Good beer, but not one of my favorite IPAs.

I also had a couple of my American APAs last night. I think the hops are starting to fall off a bit, but it is starting to get a bit more clear. What did you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:14 am 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Mothership Wit: Soo refreshing on a sticky humid day. One of my very favorite renditions of Wit from a craft brewer. Not over-spiced like so many of them. Great balance all around, and very versatile with food as well.

Stone IPA: One of two beers I brought back from my weekend in Michigan (Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout being the other). This is the one Stone beer I'm really a fan of. Terrific hop/malt balance. Lighter on its feet than Two-Hearted, but just (about) as delicious. This would definitely be in my regular rotation if it was easily available.

Cheers,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:25 am 
STL Hops Jackass

Twitter: cubby_swans
i had nothing last night... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:13 am 
STL Hops Superstar

Twitter: @mockwerks
I didn't have a thing last night (see my thread on being a weekend drinker), but I am tonight (an exception to the rule). I'll edit this post with my thoughts.

Planning on New Glarus Berliner Weiss. A friend picked up this limited edition for me, so we'll be tasting it tonight.

Also, North Coast PranQster. The friend is a big fan of Duvel, so we'll see how this one works.

Until tomorrow...

Post subject: Porter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:24 am 
Ultra Beer Nerd

I had a Boulevard Bully! Porter. It wasn't sweet enough, and was too hoppy, if you ask me. I've been trying different porters lately, but I haven't liked any as much as the Arcadia London Porter (I think...) that they had on tap at Mattingly's when we did the STL Hops meet-up.

The "Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout" listed above sounds awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 am 
Beer Lover Extreme

I had a Schlafly Kolsch and a Scrimshaw Pilsner yesterday.

Arcadia London Porter is great, I've got one of those waiting in the fridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:42 am 
STL Hops Superstar

Untappd: SPARTAN1979
A Lagunitas IPA. Whenever I drink this, it brings back pleasant memories of a second honeymoon my wife and I took to San Francisco and the Sonoma Valley a couple of years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:37 pm 
Beer Lover Extreme

Twitter: bigelosbistro
Red's Rye draft, Hazed and Infused draft and a 5 day draft

http://bigelosbistro.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:58 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: chzmongerswife
I wanted a 5 Day IPA but Pi was out so I had the Griesedieck Bros Pils...crisp, cool and refreshing. I have to branch out...I have been loving on the O'Fallon 5 Day so much recently......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:11 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Griesedieck Bros Pils and Left Hand Sawtooth. Both on draught. Both were beautifully well-balanced, refreshing, and flavorful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:11 pm 
STL Hops Addict

Twitter: MurdarioStomp
realale wrote:
Mothership Wit: Soo refreshing on a sticky humid day. One of my very favorite renditions of Wit from a craft brewer. Not over-spiced like so many of them. Great balance all around, and very versatile with food as well.

Stone IPA: One of two beers I brought back from my weekend in Michigan (Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout being the other). This is the one Stone beer I'm really a fan of. Terrific hop/malt balance. Lighter on its feet than Two-Hearted, but just (about) as delicious. This would definitely be in my regular rotation if it was easily available.

Cheers,

Dave

i ride Stones nuts pretty hard but i thought the IPA was rather weak. now ill have to drink one to make sure im not crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:12 pm 
STL Hops Addict

bigelo1016 wrote:
Red's Rye draft, Hazed and Infused draft and a 5 day draft

reds rye draft? holy shit i need to try this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:15 pm 
STL Hops Addict

yesterday was simple-

Alesmith - summer Yulesmith - this SOB kicked my ass. lots of scent from the bottle and the snifter, smooth going down with a bitter hop flavor that lingers in your throat. i found their regular IPA to be intense for a regular IPA and wondered just how they could create a double IPA. now i know, and i bow down. Alesmith is my new favorite brewery. i was not as fond of the ESB though, i may trade it if anyone is interested. 22oz'r.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:37 pm 
Beer Lover Extreme

Twitter: bigelosbistro
scottyp wrote:

reds rye draft? holy shit i need to try this

On tap at Bigelos in Edwardsville. Stop in have a few Red's and a bite to eat, then walk a block down the street to Erato and sample their killer beer list

http://bigelosbistro.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:20 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

oberon from a 5L keg- nice on a summer day
Dark Horse Special Reserve- a damn nice porter!
Port Santa's Little Helper- not too bad, not as complex as my favorite imp stouts, a bit boozy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:26 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @Shep133
Untappd: Shep133
I had a 22 oz. Tornado Alley Amber Ale from Charleville - only 2.99 from Provisions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:51 pm 
STL Hops Addict

Shep wrote:
I had a 22 oz. Tornado Alley Amber Ale from Charleville - only 2.99 from Provisions!

how was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @Shep133
Untappd: Shep133
scottyp wrote:
Shep wrote:

how was it?

This was actually my second bottle and the taste is a little flat compared to what I got at the brewery and Cicero's. It still had a good caramel/vanilla taste to it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:48 pm 
Beer Lover Extreme

I love the Tornado Alley. It's got a really nice balance of sweet and roasty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:17 am 
STL Hops Superstar

Twitter: @mockwerks
bmock wrote:
I didn't have a thing last night (see my thread on being a weekend drinker), but I am tonight (an exception to the rule). I'll edit this post with my thoughts.

Planning on New Glarus Berliner Weiss. A friend picked up this limited edition for me, so we'll be tasting it tonight.

Also, North Coast PranQster. The friend is a big fan of Duvel, so we'll see how this one works.

Until tomorrow...

I didn't realize the Berliner Weiss was a sour beer?!? I poured the bottle into the glass and took a big sniff. I had a considerable phenolic smell, but I didn't pick up on the sour until I took my first sip. Wow! That's sour, baby! I'm glad I have more.

The PranQster was very good. It seemed to have a little more residual sweetness compared to Duvel, but it's been a while Belgian Strong Golden is one of my favorite styles, so I had no objections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:52 am 
Super Ultra Beer Nerd

Yeah, you should check out Jamil's BrewingNetwork podcast about brewing a Berliner Weiss and how he suggests getting the sour notes.

Le Mer from North Coast is a pretty good saison- rather peppery, and I've heard they use the same yeast as Pranqster. I could be spreading rumor, though. I have some saison brewing with yeast cultured from Le Mer right now, we'll see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:33 am 
Super Beer Nerd

New Belgium Mothership Wit: Great refreshing beer, well balanced spices. I have a feeling this will become my grilling beer as it warms well and isn't too heavy. It also feels nice to support a brewery that is completely wind powered and encourages its employees to ride bicycles.

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter: I haven't had much luck with this brewery, generally I find their offerings bland, but this one gives me hope. Thanks to Andy's recommendation I picked this up at Whole Foods and do not regret it. I haven't had a ton of Porters, but I will say this is one the favorites of what I have had. From the smell to the taste Chocolate and dark fruits rule the land. I don't think I could handle more than one or two of these in a night, it carried a nice little kick for the 9.2% ABV.

r

-Czech Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:16 am 
Super Ultra Beer Nerd

I had a couple of pints of belgian strong golden that my friend gary brewed. I ended up spinning and needing a cold shower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:22 pm 
Owner/Creator

Oskar Blues - Old Chub - I was surprised just how dark this beer was, so brown it was becoming almost black. Very malty aroma with no discernible hop smell. The flavor matched the aroma, big bold malty caramel flavor . Low carbonation, but that fits the style. Great beer, can't wait to pick some more up to bring back with me after GABF.

Left Hand - Deep Cover Brown Ale - Real big chocolate flavor on this one in the first sip. Well balanced and very drinkable.

DHF - Aprihop - I think I can officially say that I do not like apricot flavored beers. Every single one I've had reminds me of shampoo, and that's not a flavor I want in my beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

mikesweeney wrote:
Well balanced and very drinkable.

Pretty much sums up the whole Left Hand regular lineup (haven't had any of the specials yet), IMO. Solid, solid stuff there.

Cheers,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:42 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: PlinyTheTaller
O'Fallon Cask IPA: Had 2 pints at Dressel's last night. Hoo boy, were these good. I hate to admit that my taste for IPA's has waned due to me oversaturating my taste buds with high alcohol, high IBU IPA's, but man was this a refreshing beer. The cooler weather helped, too, I suppose, but the cask ale really hit the spot. As was noted elsewhere, the distinct lack of carbonation and slightly-below room temperature aspect of the beer was really well-received. And it was relatively cheap (at least compared to their other beers) at $4.25 a pint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:01 pm 
Owner/Creator

I'm heading over to Dressel's tonight to have a few pints myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:55 pm 
STL Hops Addict

Anderson Valley Pale Ale - I was hanging concrete backer board all evening so i was parched. This hit the spot and was amazing. perfect pale ale.

Stone IPA - def not my fav ipa out there, not even close. good though but for some reason just didnt seem balanced.

i agree on the DFH aprihop. i thought it sucked big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 pm 

I was on my way to a wake last night, and someone handed me a Xingu black beer

I am not very familiar with black beers, but this one was very drinkable, with a nice roasted malt flavor and not to heavy. A very dark beer fitting for an evening at the funeral home

Last edited by yesyoucant on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:09 am 
STL Hops Addict

sierra nevada - southern hemi fresh hop ale - i cannot get enough of these. at $3 a pop, its pretty much perfect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 308  Next