It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mikkeller "Know Your Hops" at iTap
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: mvemjsunp
They just posted this event on facebook. March 3 at 7pm, all 10 of the single hop IPAs will be on draft. Sounds awesome, but $3 per 5 oz sample seems like a lot.

Amarillo Single Hop IPA
Cascade Single Hop IPA
Centennial Single Hop IPA
Chinook Single Hop IPA
East Kent Golding Single Hop IPA
Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA
Nugget Single Hop IPA
Simcoe Single Hop IPA
Tomahawk Single Hop IPA
Warrior Single Hop IPA

Post subject: Re: Mikkeller "Know Your Hops" at iTap
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:18 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @TWCPBeer
We are scheduled to get all 10 Mikkeller Single hops also, but in bottles! Very soon hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 am 
STL Hops Legend

redbird wrote:
They just posted this event on facebook. March 3 at 7pm, all 10 of the single hop IPAs will be on draft. Sounds awesome, but $3 per 5 oz sample seems like a lot.

Amarillo Single Hop IPA
Cascade Single Hop IPA
Centennial Single Hop IPA
Chinook Single Hop IPA
East Kent Golding Single Hop IPA
Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA
Nugget Single Hop IPA
Simcoe Single Hop IPA
Tomahawk Single Hop IPA
Warrior Single Hop IPA

That would be an interesting experience for any hop lover or homebrewer, but $30 for basically a little over 3 pints of beer is a little silly. I love the iTap, but why in gods name do they charge so much, especially for samples? A sampler (5-5oz beers) is 14 bucks (basically almost $3.00 per sample)...why? If there is an honest reason why, then that's fine, but someone please explain it to me so I can wrap my head around it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 am 
Owner/Creator

Twitter: @MikeSweeney
Untappd: MikeSweeney
Fweezle wrote:
That would be an interesting experience for any hop lover or homebrewer, but $30 for basically a little over 3 pints of beer is a little silly. I love the iTap, but why in gods name do they charge so much, especially for samples? A sampler (5-5oz beers) is 14 bucks (basically almost $3.00 per sample)...why? If there is an honest reason why, then that's fine, but someone please explain it to me so I can wrap my head around it.

it's a little on the high side, but not terrible. it's like two $7 pints. but let's be honest, they could incur more spillage and certainly incur more labor by pouring five beers. maybe I drop the price down to $12, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

also, I can't imagine those Mikkeller beers are cheap. I'd be curious what they cost per 1/6bbl. my guess is easily in the 3 figure range.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 am 
STL Hops Legend

mikesweeney wrote:
it's a little on the high side, but not terrible. it's like two $7 pints.

For the regular sampler?
I only come up with 25oz of beer in a sampler which equates to 1 pint and 9oz, basically a pint and a half for $14.00. So what, maybe $10.00 for a single pint and $4.00 for the half? I know I'm splitting hairs here and I'm really not trying to be an ass. If this is how the the iTap needs to price things to turn a decent profit then cool, by all means. I guess I gotta pick and choose my battles with the iTap because I'd be broke if I went there often. Just something about getting that 5 sampler paddle put in front of you and forking $14.00 kinda puts me off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:06 am 
Owner/Creator

sorry, I meant two $7 12oz beers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:07 am 
STL Hops Superstar

Twitter: @mockwerks
Fweezle wrote:
mikesweeney wrote:
it's a little on the high side, but not terrible. it's like two $7 pints.

For the regular sampler?
I only come up with 25oz of beer in a sampler which equates to 1 pint and 9oz, basically a pint and a half for $14.00. So what, maybe $10.00 for a single pint and $4.00 for the half? I know I'm splitting hairs here and I'm really not trying to be an ass. If this is how the the iTap needs to price things to turn a decent profit then cool, by all means. I guess I gotta pick and choose my battles with the iTap because I'd be broke if I went there often. Just something about getting that 5 sampler paddle put in front of you and forking $14.00 kinda puts me off.

I'm with you, Mr. Fweeze. If you do end up getting a paddle, you have to make damn sure you get the most expensive taps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:09 am 
Owner/Creator

spillage and labor are two big factors that go into how much your beer costs. those samplers can certainly raise the price because they will use far more labor and possibly more spillage.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 am 
STL Hops Superstar

Twitter: @mockwerks
mikesweeney wrote:
spillage and labor are two big factors that go into how much your beer costs. those samplers can certainly raise the price because they will use far more labor and possibly more spillage.

Wouldn't all tap houses suffer from the same spillage/labor issue?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:32 am 
STL Hops Legend

bmock wrote:
mikesweeney wrote:

Wouldn't all tap houses suffer from the same spillage/labor issue?

Anyone on the inside know what kind of cost offsets are associated with "spillage and labor"? How much do they really need to add to a glass of beer? It's not like they are pouring beers with a firehose.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 am 
Owner/Creator

Fweezle wrote:
Anyone on the inside know what kind of cost offsets are associated with "spillage and labor"? How much do they really need to add to a glass of beer? It's not like they are pouring beers with a firehose.

no, but some beers do have foaming problems and foam is beer and beer is money. you also have to look at the average price per beer on tap, Joe Blow may roll in and buy 5 samplers that may be cheap if bought per pint. whereas Joe STL Hop guy may roll in and buy 5 samplers that are astronomical in price.

you have to average that out in the end. like I said, I think it's a bit too high, but I don't think it's something to get a bee in your bonnet about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:05 am 
STL Hops Legend

mikesweeney wrote:
Fweezle wrote:

no, but some beers do have foaming problems and foam is beer and beer is money. you also have to look at the average price per beer on tap, Joe Blow may roll in and buy 5 samplers that may be cheap if bought per pint. whereas Joe STL Hop guy may roll in and buy 5 samplers that are astronomical in price.

you have to average that out in the end. like I said, I think it's a bit too high, but I don't think it's something to get a bee in your bonnet about.

Ok, I can see that...
Maybe they could offer different sampler options. Kind of like what the Flying Saucer does where you can only order like 1 or 2 higher priced/higher ABV beers per sample plate or come up with individual sample prices. Just give more flexability that charging a flat rate no matter the beer. To someone who wants to sample alot of different stuff and not go home broke this would really make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:08 am 
Owner/Creator

Fweezle wrote:
Ok, I can see that...
Maybe they could offer different sampler options. Kind of like what the Flying Saucer does where you can only order like 1 or 2 higher priced/higher ABV beers per sample plate or come up with individual sample prices. Just give more flexability that charging a flat rate no matter the beer. To someone who wants to sample alot of different stuff and not go home broke this would really make a difference.

I personally like what the Bridge has done, you offer three different glass sizes: 4oz, 12oz and 20oz and you charge appropriately for each.

it's probably more of a pain in the ass, but it's a win for consumers. you're not bound to have to get a set number of samples to try and you pay whatever the going rate it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 am 
STL Hops Superstar

Untappd: SPARTAN1979
pcerebral wrote:
We are scheduled to get all 10 Mikkeller Single hops also, but in bottles! Very soon hopefully.

You should sell them as a set.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:25 am 
STL Hops Legend

mikesweeney wrote:
Fweezle wrote:
Ok, I can see that...

I personally like what the Bridge has done, you offer three different glass sizes: 4oz, 12oz and 20oz and you charge appropriately for each.

it's probably more of a pain in the ass, but it's a win for consumers. you're not bound to have to get a set number of samples to try and you pay whatever the going rate it.

That would be perfect. :upyours:
I would make it a point to visit the iTap more often if this option was available. Then I'd have money left over for gas to get home. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:37 am 
STL Hops Superstar

These beers aren't cheap at bottle shops. TWCP is known for their good prices and the bottles are over $5 / 11.2 oz bottle. This doesn't sound out of whack for tap vs. bottle shop ounce-for-ounce pricing.

Just found on TWCP blog that they are $5.29/11.2 oz. By the bottle it would be 0.47/oz and on tap $0.60/oz - that's far better ratio that most for the tap price.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

I didn't have a problem with the $14 sampler. Yes, it's high, and as Mike says, $12 might be a bit closer. However, I'm colored by my experiences in Europe - where a pint costs in the range of 5€ or £5 - which translates into a shitload american.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm 
STL Hops Jackass

Twitter: cubby_swans
mikesweeney wrote:
Fweezle wrote:
I don't think it's something to get a bee in your bonnet about.

Grandma?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @Shep133
Untappd: Shep133
Rencelas wrote:
I didn't have a problem with the $14 sampler. Yes, it's high, and as Mike says, $12 might be a bit closer. However, I'm colored by my experiences in Europe - where a pint costs in the range of 5€ or £5 - which translates into a shitload american.

I just think they should tell you it's going to be crazy expensive in big bold print on the menu or when you order one, especially if it has weaker/cheaper beers on it.

Not Ben Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:34 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: mfgrocery
I just wish iTap posted their prices on the board or menu.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:09 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

mikesweeney wrote:
Fweezle wrote:
Ok, I can see that...

+1 on that. I don't drink Lambics too often, so it was cool to just order a couple of those to try and not have 2 or 3 others that I didn't necessarily want.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Hops Direct has provided 5lbs of hops to be used for prizes.

This really is a good opportunity to try various hops side by side.

As far as I can tell, iTAP is the only place in the world doing all 10 side by side.

I contacted Mikkel and he gave me the information on the recipe.

Here is his reply:
-----------------------------------
Dear Brent

Thanks for your mail.

Wow! 10 at the same time - that is awesome. Thanks for promoting Mikkeller.

For the single hop beers they are all brewed with the same base-recipe:
67% pilsner malt
11% Cara-Crystal
11% Munich II
11% Flaked Oats

Yeast is American ale (Wyeast 1056/WLP099)

Hops 60min, 15min, whirlpool and dry.
About 100IBU.

Hope you can use this!

Best, Mikkel
-------------------------------------
I'm not sure on the O.G., I'll try to find that out before the event, but the beers are all 6.9%.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:31 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: Sean8199
I agree that these beers are quite expensive for what they are but this is excellent homebrew research. I've been planning on doing some single hop brews with several of these hop varieties and it appears they've done the work for me.

Count me in next Wed for 8 out of 10. (had plenty of cascade and centennial)

redbird wrote:
I'll be there to tap that bunghole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:06 am 
Ultra Beer Nerd

A guy over at the Garage Brewer's Society forum had a great idea. After trying the single hops to learn each one, he wants to try his hand at blending them as well.

That could be great fun and could make for even more good research for brewers.

Last edited by Brent on Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: mfgrocery
Brent wrote:
A guy over at the Garage Brewers Society forum had a great idea. After trying the single hops to learn each one, we wants to try his hand at blending them as well.

yeah that was me. So much you can learn from this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:32 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

beergoggles wrote:
Brent wrote:
A guy over at the Garage Brewers Society forum had a great idea. After trying the single hops to learn each one, we wants to try his hand at blending them as well.

Troublemaker. Now besides having to buy 10 samples, if you just mix 2 beers, there's like another 45 combinations. I'll have to see if my wife can pick me up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

Spartan wrote:
beergoggles wrote:
Brent wrote:

Troublemaker. Now besides having to buy 10 samples, if you just mix 2 beers, there's like another 45 combinations. I'll have to see if my wife can pick me up.

You'll also need to see if you can get a home equity loan to pay for those 45 combinations!

:party:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:35 am 
STL Hops Superstar

beersales314 wrote:

You'll also need to see if you can get a home equity loan to pay for those 45 combinations!

I have drinking money!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

Spartan wrote:
beersales314 wrote:

I have drinking money!

If you have that kind of drinking money, than you're the guy I want to drink with! Hey, maybe I can get you a neon for your basement after all!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:04 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

beersales314 wrote:
Spartan wrote:
beersales314 wrote:

I have drinking money!

If you have that kind of drinking money, than you're the guy I want to drink with! Hey, maybe I can get you a neon for your basement after all!

It's the punchline of an old joke. A guy is panhandling on street and asks a passerby for money for a meal. The passerby says if I give you money, you'll just drink it away. The panhandler replies "I won't us it for that, I have drinking money!"