It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: San Francisco
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
Beer Nerd

Untappd: keithslater
Any recommendations? I'll be there June 2-6 for a conference. I'll probably check out 21st Amendment since it's less than a mile to walk. Anywhere else close to that area?

Post subject: Re: San Francisco
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:57 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: Aint_It_Strange
Untappd: matt_schenck
Mikkeller Bar, City Beer Store, Almanac Brewing but I don't think they have a tasting room yet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 pm 
Beer Nerd

Twitter: YatesStates
Not sure if you're renting a car or not but I'd suggest using the BART to get to all your beer destinations, beerbybart.com has almost all the breweries/beer bars covered by stop. Strongly recommend Toronado, Beer Revolution, The Trappist, Amsterdam Tavern & if you're looking for a nice sit down dinner with incredible beer pairings definitely check out The Abbot's Cellar in the Mission. (The beer menu is IN the table)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: JasonARorie
Untappd: JasonARorie
If it's at the Moscone center, Mikkeller Bar, City Beer, and Cellarmaker are all walkable.

There is a hotel across the street that serves Pliny, in case you get bored and want to ditch the conference for a bit, believe it is the Marriot. :idea:

21st is pretty good, had a nice meal there before going to the ballpark.

They have Lyft there, we used it a ton. Definitely check out Toronado, get a sausage from Rosamunde next door. Magnolia is just a few blocks from there.

La Trappe Cafe, The Monk's Kettle, The Trappist, and Beer Revolution are supposed to be great but I never got time to hit them up.

We have opted the last three years of conferences to hit Napa/Sonoma and visit Russian River. It's always the highlight of the trip. Just remember, you have an 1 1/2 drive back to the city. Get a growler! We hit Lagunitas last year, it was really close to Russian River and very cool. Weird hours though. Bear Republic is a little further north, we haven't done that one yet, but it's on the list.

Awesome city. Enjoy! I'll be back in October.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm 
Beer Nerd

Yeah I'll be at Moscone Center. It'll probably be a busy week so unfortunately I won't be able to travel far. Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I have quite a few options in walking distance.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 am 
Beer Nerd

Any beer I should buy to bring back besides Russian River?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:37 am 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @Shep133
Untappd: Shep133
Almanac and Drakes are pretty good.

Not Ben Johnson

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 am 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: JasonARorie
Untappd: JasonARorie
You should be able to find a good selection at City Beer. They had The Ale Apothecary there the last time I was in.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:51 am 
Super Beer Nerd

Shep wrote:
Almanac makes the best sours I've ever had.

Don't listen to Shep, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:55 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: Wellspentbeer
Untappd: Wellspentbeer
Bumping this thread because I'm headed to SF in a few weeks.

Russian River is the destination, but we have 2-3 days in/around the Bay Area.

Should we stay in SF or out in Napa/Sonoma?

Any places that weren't already mentioned?

WellspentBeer.com

----------------------------------------------
Homebrew & Wild Yeast Adventures:
SouthHouseBeer.com

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:59 pm 
STL Hops Superstar

Twitter: VINNY2323
Untappd: ACESFULL
No one has mentioned the Rare Barrel or Faction. Those would be must stops for me if I was in the area.

Jeffh97 wrote:
I personally wouldn't drink most these bottles with somebody elses mouth

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:25 am 
Super Beer Nerd

Twitter: @Jenksss
Untappd: Jenksss
ACESFULL wrote:
No one has mentioned the Rare Barrel or Faction. Those would be must stops for me if I was in the area.

Rare Barrel is great, although a bit of a hike over to Berkley, about a $30 Uber, and the traffic on the way back is almost always a jam, but it's worth it if you plan for all of that- about 8 of their sours on tap, plus a pretty nice 5-6 tap guest list- Societie, Alpine, Bruery, etc. Hit Fieldwork Brewing while you're over there.

All of the cool beer places have been mentioned above, Tornado being the winner for me, damn that place has an incredible beer list. Knocked several beers off my bucket list in one stop.

If you dig fresh raw fish, like swimming that morning fresh, hit Swan Oyster Depot. Get there early, 10am or so and get in line for the first seating. Small shotgun style place with about a dozen bar seats only. Scallop sashimi Sicilian style, Uni, fresh shucked oysters, soft shell crab, wash it all down with copious amounts of Anchor Steam. Cash only. Bangin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:40 am 
Beer Lover Extreme

Are Almanac beers(bottles to go) available anywhere other than at the brewery?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:45 pm 
Beer Nerd

Untappd: shmemily_
Almanac's brewery isn't open to the public (to the best of my knowledge). Bottles are very easy to come by in SF. If you're in the Mission (perhaps Monk's Kettle), you should stop by Bi-Rite Market. They always have a selection of Almanac bottles.

Also, there are several wine stores in Noe Valley (near the Castro) that carry Almanac bottles as well as Russian River, etc. Noe Valley Wine Merchants and Plumpjack Wines are both on 24th Street. City Beer Store in SoMa will probably also have what you're looking for!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:50 pm 
Beer Nerd

Untappd: Grownfool
I hope this response isn't too late to be helpful. I used to live in SF and I was there for about three weeks in January.

I highly recommend Cellarmaker. All of their beers are great especially the hoppy ones and they do flight size pours. City Beer is super close so it's worth a stop (especially if you're looking for vintage bottles for on site consumption). Check their tap list online. Both are small so it's best to go during off hours which can be hard to judge. The after work tech crowd often fills up both places.

Mikkeller Bar is also usually packed with the after work crowd. It's very expensive but they do get some draft only imports that aren't available anywhere else. I'd only go there if it's close to your hotel of if you're going there for a specific beer.

As a bottle shop, City Beer sells out fast. Fruited Almanac sours might not last the week. Ales Unlimited and Healthy Spirits are good alternatives. Both update their stock on beermenus.com.

Toronado's tap list hasn't kept up with other newer bars (You're more likely to find rare beers at Mikkeller and City Beer. Special events are the exception.) but it's still worth a visit. They always have Pliny and the best selection of Moonlight in town. I highly recommend Twist of Fate if you like cask beer. Death and Taxes is also excellent but it's easier to find elsewhere. Toronado is a dive bar and is known for its surly bartenders (not always but often). Don't expect samples or descriptions or recommendations. It's best to know what you want before you go.

If you're looking for a specific Almanac beer and having trouble finding it, try Shotwell's (a few blocks from Monk's Kettle). It a neighborhood bar and you'll probably be the only beer geek in there. They usually have one Almanac beer on tap and several bottles for on site. There are lots of neighborhood bars in SF with great taplists. If you've got the time, search for beers on beermenus.com and taplist.at (lists recent Untappd check ins). It's a good way to find neighborhood bars with good selection and often lower prices.

If you're a hops geek, Faction has a two hop pale ale series similar to Schlafly's Hop Trial but with two different hops. It's available around town and at the brewery tap room in Alameda. The brewery is right on the bay in a former naval base next to St. George's Spirits. It's a neat spot to drink a beer on a nice day. However it's hard to find. Best directions I've found are on beerbybart.com (http://beerbybart.com/why/faction-brewi ... d-and-bus/).

Rare Barrel in Berkeley has bottles to go and good guest taps in addition to their sours. I'll leave it at that. I'd rather not recommend anything in Berkeley.

Trappist Provisions has the largest selection of De La Senne I've seen anywhere. The taplist on their website isn't updated. Try Facebook. That's all I have to say about Oakland.

Message me if you have any other questions about Bay Area beer or food.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:00 pm 
Crazy Fresh Beer Nerd

Twitter: @dudekevin
Untappd: pinkfloyd4ever
Thanks for the recommendations, GrownFool. I'll be heading to the Bay Area (mainly Oakland) for a few days the weekend before Thanksgiving and probably will only have time for 2 beer places, maybe 3 if I'm lucky. This will be my first time there so I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, in Oakland I have The Trappist & Beer Revolution on my short list, since they're both pretty close to where we're staying.

But to you SF veterans, if you could to pick one of the following in addition to the above 2, which of the following would you pick as your 3rd stop: Toronado, Anchor, Drake's, Faction, or maybe Rare Barrel?

AND STUFF
-Psychostick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:28 am 
Beer Nerd

Untappd: Grownfool
Anchor tour is expensive. Drake's beer is hit or miss. I'd only recommend Faction if you also want to visit the distillery next door or if you're a Mythbusters fan. It's best to visit in nice weather and getting there involves a ferry ride or taking the bus and wandering through a decommissioned Navy base.

If you want to drink sour beer, go to Rare Barrel. They also usually have Sante Adairius and Cellarmaker on their guest taps.

If you want to drink fresh Pliny and are alone or with other beer geeks and aren't going on a weekend night, go to Toronado.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm 
Ultra Beer Nerd

Twitter: Jay8siii
Untappd: jay8s
I'll be making this trip in November. I am also staying at the Moscone West. Any new suggestions? Beerbybart is my new reading material.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:21 am 
Ultra Beer Nerd

jay8s,

We stayed in same area in August. Great location. Didn't use Bart at all. Lyft. SF a very strong Lyft city, of course.

You could just do Cellarmaker and City Beer Store and be happy. CBS will always have interesting taps and the latest bottles. Cellarmaker has a very high hit rate.

Monk's Kettle should be a must. Top notch food and, when we were there, had just had a sour event with plenty left over. Just a wonderful tap list.

Mikkeller Bar a very short walk for you. Just ok food but great beers.

Walk to 21st Amendment for old times. Stop at Black Hammer. They have potential.

Crafty Fox Ale House had a very impressive tap list and tried really hard on the food. Go for the beer, for sure.

Lyft to Toronado. A must stop. Top of the line tap list. Cash only. Get a sausage at place next door.

Scoot over to Almanac. Great outdoor space and Almanac makes great sours. Make a stop at 1234 Record Store. Very cool.

We did Lyft over to Berkeley. A tad expensive. Maybe Bart that. Worth it for Fieldwork and Rare Barrel. Very worth it.

Capo's is the best pizza you will ever have in your life. No hyperbole. You will need a reservation.

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art a must. You will have missed Edvard Munch but Walker Evans looks interesting.